.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

R.I.P. Beavers Losing Streak 1986-2011

Unbenounced to me, and maybe 99.4952% of the country, there was an epic streak that had been around longer than I've been breathing.  ESPN of course broke the news and naturally this streak not only makes the website, but gets highlights on Sportscenter.  There are many ways I want to approach this ridiculous feat, er defeat because there are so many things wrong with this situation.



The future is bright for the Caltech basketball program.


First of all, I consider myself a nice guy who isn't afraid to tell you the blunt truth regardless of whether or not you actually wanted to hear it. As I'm typing this I can't help but to be a Grade A asshole and rip this DIII university who should have been on my 'Get The F&#K Out' post probably 20 to 21 years ago.  If you allow a program, whether it's your Varsity Chess squad, Cross Country Ski Team, or much less a basketball team not win a conference game in 26 years, or pile on 310 losses in a row, whichever sounds more asthetically pleasing to you, it's time to wake up. You should have been fired multiple times. Your program should have been banned by the NCAA. If you can't hack it in DIII basketball for 310 consecutive nights as a collective program, I got news for you, I hope you are embarrassed for yourself.  This is a crotch-shot for anyone who watches sports, or much less someone who played basketball since the age of 6.  I just don't understand why people were even trying to win at this point, nor should they have been given that chance. What really upsets me is why these kids felt like winning on February 22, 2011. I don't even know what I would say to those kids after we won. In fact, I'd be depressed like, "Hey guys great effort out there. Now somehow, we came away with a win, but don't hang your head, we'll get back out there and start a new losing streak all over again. We'll get back to the drawing (coloring) board, dick around at practice, and watch film on Oprah next week to show everyone how we really play as a team."


That brings me to the point about ESPN covering a losing streak of this magnitude.  Is this recruiting that hurts all of Caltech Beavers' opponents? Is this like the classic "Roll Tide" brainwash that Nick Saban was able to conjure up? What unfair advantage does this give the Beavers heading into next year? Lastly, what kind of example are we giving the youth who play basketball? "Hey kid, you want to make ESPN?...Just not try for 310 games of whatever interests you the most and be a loser like me!" Absolutely hell no, this coverage is a mockery of all sorts.  I'd rather watch another 3 minutes of Walsh and Dolan blab about 'Melo than care to hear about a bunch of numb-skulls trying to put a ball in the basket. I mean this educational institution probably has as many Nobel Peace Prize winners (31) in school history than wins in the last 26 years.  They also ended their overall 207-game losing streak in 2007.  Congrats!!....NOT.

Last, but not least, I know this media thing is not over. I'm sure all these late night shows and worthless shows like Oprah, The View, and anything else of that nature will love to have a player or coach on their show.  That really grinds my gears because no where in my book does winning 1 out of your last 311 conference basketball games warrant you to be proclaimed as a champion. What a bunch of malarkey.

-Pat