.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Friday, February 25, 2011

The Big Road Win Marquette Needed

With college basketball, the games are never on at the exact times. As a student without a DVR, I missed most of the Marquette-UConn game because I was filming my weekly television show for TV-10. Of course, I had to rely getting updates every once in awhile....



The First update I received was 34-23 Marquette up at half. Yes! Kemba Walker only with six points, and the Golden Eagles weren't shooting well, just being glass cleaners owning the Huskies on the boards.

Big Cat texts me right before my taping, 'Marquette looking tough'. Of course they were I wasn't watching and every time I watch, it's like inserting needles into my eyes, ears, and nose. 

After I got done filming, I turned on a TV to see Marquette down 49-41. Shit. I had a tough time believing the never-ending story of Marquette's season blowing first half leads kept happening. I cannot believe Marquette stayed in the game by starting the second half shooting 2 of 19 as a team. Chris Bosh did worse as an individual last night to give you some perspective.  I had this distinct feeling that this might have been the final blow to Marquette's season.

But somehow, someway, the light got turned on that I have been waiting for all season.  If you have read my rants from the past games, I have been very critical of Marquette's late game offense. No one had the marbles to take big shots. All of that was true until last night when Darius Johnson-Odom rose to the occasion. DJO had an off night for most of the game, but the last three minutes plus overtime, he found a way to turn it on.

The thing I loved about DJO's takeover was he did not settle for long shots and threes, something DJO did a ton in these situations earlier this season. DJO penetrated the lane like I have never seen him do before. For once, someone took this Marquette team on their shoulders. I hope DJO did the big balls dance when he got to the locker room. He deserved it.

After any big win, I worry about a letdown in the following game especially when Marquette faces a guy like Providence's Marshon Brooks. But I feel Buzz Williams told his boys, the tournament started in Hartford, Connecticut and the attitude is now win or go home.

-Charlie.