.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Western Conference Semis: Where The 'Hawks At?

Looking at my predictions from the first round, I had my ups and downs.

  • I called the Canucks winning in seven games. Thank the Lord. I knew the Blackhawks would be a tough matchup for Vancouver but I didn't think they would almost comeback after being down 3-0
  • I had the Sharks in five and it took them six to finish off those pesky Kings. 
  • I went out on a limb and said the Phoenix Coyotes would take out the Red Wings in seven. I couldn't have been more wrong about that and I take full responsibility for that. 
  • I had Anaheim beating Nashville in six because of their high powered first line. I failed to acknowledge that the Predators goalie Pekka Rinne is a god damn beast and he neutralized that line. 
Anyway, here are my thoughts on the next round of the Western Conference half of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

#1 Vancouver Canucks vs. #5 Nashville Predators

So we have the Canucks against the Nashville Preds tonight. I can't really see the Predators having enough to beat the 'Nucks in this series. Hockeytonk (great nickname for Nashville) will be rocking in those home games, but Ryan Kesler will have something to say. Daniel Sedin has five goals in the post-season and those numbers will rise. I think the Predators are an easier matchup than the eighth seeded Blackhawks were. Canucks 4-2.

#2 San Jose Sharks vs. #3 Detroit Red Wings


You know what? I'm going to take my Sharks goggles off for this one. Detroit is the better team and there's something about the Sharks that I just don't trust. The Sharks have goaltender issues. It depends which Antti Niemi decides to show up. The filthiness factor in this series will be off the hook. Datsyuk and Marleau can dangle with the best of 'em and Valtteri Filppula and Joe Thornton can sauce the puck like no one else can. Hockeytown is too much so I'm not even gonna get my hopes up. Detroit 4-3.