.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Half Assed Preview: AL West

The more I start writing about baseball this year, I think it's really deep year. Granted, injuries could happen to some of these teams creating more distance but I feel there is two or three teams who could make a push for the division.  Here is the AL West, and like everyone else I am jumping on a certain bandwagon in the Bay Area.

AL WEST



1.) Oakland Athletics: Player I Love: Brett Anderson (SP)- People thought he could have been a breakout star last season, and then he had some arm trouble. Anderson has the ability to throw four pitches well, which will be crucial. Player I Hate: Kevin Kouzmanoff (3B)- I am not real psyched about anyone in their infield. Kouz will give you some production at the plate in terms of homers, but doesn't hit for average, or take walks. Good defender though. Prediction: 88 wins, the A's have the young pitching staff like they did with Zito, Mulder, and Hudson, but this time it's Braden, Gonzalez, Cahill, and Anderson. Only Braden is over 25, scary thought.

2.) Texas Rangers: Player I Love: Chris Davis (1B)- A couple years ago, everyone was on his bandwagon so I took him in a fantasy draft hoping for big results. He did nothing. Davis is one of those guys who continues to kill it in Triple AAA, but never in the major leagues. Maybe this is his year. Player I Hate: Colby Lewis (SP)- I think we can all agree the Rangers caught some breaks with guys like Lewis and C.J. Wilson playing at a high level. Not sure that can happen again this year. Prediction: 84 wins, the Rangers once again can crush the ball better than anyone, but their pitching staff is shaky. Cliff Lee isn't walking through that door.

3.) Los Angeles Angles: Player I Love: Vernon Wells (OF)- While I thought the trade for Wells was ridiculous for monetary reasons, I think he can have a better than expected year. He could benefit from Torii Hunter's influence. Player I Hate: Scott Kazmir (SP)- I think he is washed up. He didn't pitch well last year, and didn't again in Spring Training. I wouldn't be surprised if Kazmir found himself in the pen by the end of May. Prediction: 79 wins, there is nothing that impresses me about the Angels this season. Sure they could have a good bullpen, but that's about all I got.

4.) Seattle Mariners: Player I Love: Michael Pineda (SP)- He is on everybody's radar. It still blows my mind a guy who is younger than me is playing in the big leagues. He will be right there next to Carlos Santana for Rookie of the Year. Player I Hate: Milton Bradley (OF)- Every year I am amazed that Milt is still in the Major Leagues, that's all I got to say about that. Predictions: 69 wins, I think the Mariners will probably deal King Felix and get a ton of talent for him. They will not be tgreat this year, but the future is bright.

-Charlie.