.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Half Assed Preview: AL Central

I know that I put a certain number of wins on each team. I personally feel that's the lowest win total they will get by the end of September. For example, I predicted the Boston Red Sox would win 90 games, I think it could be 90-95 because if you add all the teams up it might not equal correct amounts. I might be doing my best Ted Mosby by over-thinking this, but like a lot of things I do on here, I don't care what you think. So let's get to the AL Central.

1.) Chicago White Sox:
Player I Love: Alex Rios (OF)- He hasn't put together a full season yet, but I think this is his year. Rios sprayed the ball throughout Comiskey in the beginning of the year, then fell off in the second half. I don't see that happening this year. Player I Hate: Jake Peavy (SP)- A softball response, but Peavy has to be considered a bust for the Sox. He has had injury trouble during his time on the Southside, and the White Sox gave up four players plus I believe they signed him to a big contract. Prediction: 92 wins, the Sox have a great middle of the order and even without Peavy, they have a strong pitching staff.

2.) Minnesota Twins: Player I Love: Brian Duensing (SP)- The young Twins' pitcher came on strong at the end of the year getting 11 wins. I know by advanced stats terms he got a bit lucky, but he does a great job keeping the ball inside the park. Player I Hate: Justin Morneau (1B)- I am starting to worry about him, it's hard to put your chips in severe concussed basket. He could have a good year, but I don't think he will ever be the player he once was in years past.  Prediction: 88 wins, this is your Wild Card team. They need the Two Joes (Mauer/Nathan) to stay healthy because if Mauer does, everything works offense. If Nathan does, they have a great bullpen.

3.) Detroit Tigers: Player I Love: Rick Porcello (SP)- He struggled a bit last season, but do people realize he is only 22 years old?  I think he can have a huge year for 8 Mile this summer.  Look for a bounce back year as he started to figure things out in August/September. Player I Hate: Miguel Cabrera (1B)- My fantasy baseball team is named Drunk at Miggy's but I worry he might have more personal issues that you or I know about. I said when he got the DUI, if he is the star of my team I would be worried sick.  Prediction: 84 wins, they have a stacked lineup and a pretty good pitching staff if a couple things work out. One, Brad Penny plays at a high level and Jose Valverde stays healthy.

4.) Kansas City Royals: Player I Love: Alex Gordon (LF)- Everyone rode this guys jock a couple years ago, and now he has moved positions. This could be a breakout year for him, or just another bust for the Royals. Gordon had an encouraging Spring Training though.  Player I Hate: Kyle Davies (SP)- There some funny names on the Royals roster like Jason Kendall and Melky Cabrera that I could make fun of, and I know Davies is a young pitcher but I see no upside. Prediction: 71 wins, the Royals are a year away from being the Tampa Bay Rays. Ned Yost is good for the job with all their farm talent coming up in the near future.

5.) Cleveland Indians: Player I Love: Carlos Santana (C)- No, not the one that plays guitar .When Santana came up last year, he lived up to the high expectations and then got his knee wrecked in Fenway. He will be the AL Rookie of the Year, no question about it. He is the next great catcher. Player I Hate: Chad Durbin (SP)- I don't know many guys on Cleveland so that might be a bad sign in the first place. But this joker is listed as a starter, and barely has any experience in this role, not good. Prediction: 67 wins, I believe this team will have a fire sale to try to get more young talent. Trade Travis Hafner and Grady Sizemore if they are healthy by July.

-Charlie.