.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Half Assed Preview: AL East

Baseball season is finally here. Ever since the Zach Greinke trade, I have not been more excited for the baseball season to start.  I am ready to begin my Half-Assed Previews making predictions that you might agree with, and some you might disagree with. Simple format if you are new here; Player I Love, Player I Hate, and a Prediction for wins.  

AL East:
1.) Boston Red Sox: Player I Love: Daniel Bard (RP)- I think by the month of June, Bard will be a lights out closer for the BoSox.  He already has established himself as a solid set-up guy, and I believe will take the next step this season. Player I Hate: Carl Crawford (LF)- I am curious how both Red Sox additions will handle the pressure of a big city atmosphere. I think Crawford will struggle a bit during the season, and I don't see him living up to his contract this season.  Prediction: 90 wins, the Red Sox have the strongest pitching staff in the AL and they have a great offense to go along with it.  

2.) New York Yankees: Player I Like: Alex Rodriguez (3B)- I have a feeling that A-Rod is going to have a huge year.  A couple of reasons: he is crushing the ball in Spring Training, according to reports, he is in the best shape of his life, and is having consistent happy time with Cameron Diaz.  ARod will come close to taking the MVP this season.  Player I Hate: Rafael Soriano (RP)- I always feel you should never pay a high price for relief pitchers, and I could see Soriano disappointing the Bronx Zoo this summer. Who knows how Soriano handles the added pressure plus he is somewhat injury-prone. Prediction: 86 wins, I don't see the Yankees getting to the playoffs this year. They do not have the starting pitching to get to the playoffs, but that probably will change when they get some All-Star in July. 

3.) Tampa Bay Rays: Player I Like: Manny Ramirez (LF)- When I saw he signed with the Rays, I felt Manny could have a great year. ManRam looks in shape for the first time in years plus Joe Maddon is the perfect manager to understand his personality. Player I Hate: Kyle Farnsworth (RP)- He will be the Rays' closer for the month of April before it goes to hell. Sure this guy can throw smoke, but he is not the closer type. Prediction: 84 wins, the Rays will be in the race for the AL East, but I am just not sure their young pitching staff can bring it night in and out. 

4.) Toronto Blue Jays: Player I Like: Travis Snider (OF)- Last year, he was on his way to a huge season but it got slowed down by a wrist injury. He is a 23 year old left hander with huge power, I like Snider to make an impact for the Jays.  Player I Hate: Brandon Morrow (SP)- I thought he had a good season last year, and could have been a real star this season. But then arm troubles started again for him. Morrow's season might be one that is half on the DL, half on the mound.  Prediction: 82 wins, I think the Jays might be able to make a push into the top of the AL East, but they are still one year away from challenging for the crown. 

5.) Baltimore Orioles: Player I Like: Brian Matusz (SP)- People were high on him last year, and he did not have the break out year that people expected. He will be the All-Star representative for the O's this season. A  tall left-hander who can bring the noise on the mound Player I Hate: Derrek Lee (1B)- I saw DLee last year not be able to catch up to the fastball last season, and I think nothing changes this season. Lee seems to be washed up, and he will be playing a limited role come June. Prediction: 75 wins, in any other division they would be in the top 3. I am convinced of that, they have a solid squad with a good manager. 

No division will be tougher than the AL East.

-Charlie.