.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Finally, Marquette Gets One

In the second half of the Marquette game, it appeared the Warriors were doing their usual thing.  They didn't look as crisp as they did in the first half, and seemed to be on their way to another swoon. My buddy Mach texted me around 10 minute mark in the second half, "Cuse is winning by 9, calling it now."

Usually I try to quench Mach's negativity, but my hangover prevented me from coming up with something logical. Not to mention, I couldn't blame him for feeling negative after how many late game collapses we have already witness this season. But Marquette pulled it together with some clutch shooting to ensure the home victory. 
Crowder might have the brightest future on
the Marquette roster.


Jae Crowder deserved the game ball for his play on Saturday afternoon with 25 points 7 rebounds and became a zone breaker for the Warriors sneaking behind the zone for the easy bucket.  Crowder is easily the front runner for Newcomer of the Year in the Big East. Even though he is only 6'6, Crowder is tough inside and can step out for the three making him a real problem for opposing teams.  In my opinion, he is more physical version of Lazar Hayward. I don't think he is a better shooter than Zar, but I do like that he hangs out more around the block then the three-point line like Zar would.

The incredible thing about Marquette's win was Darius Johnson-Odom ran into foul trouble plus they received no help from their bench.  Vander Blue looked horrendous yesterday making consistent ill-advised decisions, and I wonder if his minutes will decrease. I am not looking that much into it because Blue is a freshman therefore you expect some growing pains. At least he isn't the Orange's Fab Melo who is the most overrated freshman in this year's class. Marquette found a way to get points without bench help or DJO, which both speak volumes to me.

Remember last week when I said Marquette needed to rediscover Jimmy Butler in late game situations?  They did exactly that on Saturday. Butler made one of the toughest three-pointers I have seen all season, and hit a back-breaking three in the deep corner.  Each shot I felt good about because I trust Jimmy more than anyone on Marquette.  He knows how to hit big shots, and lives in the moment. Hopefully, this is only the beginning.

-Charlie.